Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Courageous Sister, Nini (Part 3)


One day while we were sitting in her hospital room, I saw Nini's finger moving in the air and her head nodding as though she were listening to Someone and agreeing. I asked her if she had been talking to Jesus, and she immediately said "Yes! He loves me; Jesus loves me!" Yes, He does, I agreed. A few days later, I was with her when she stepped into the presence of the Lord. He was in her room that day. I felt His presence; I "saw" Him. He carried her away to her new home in heaven to live with Him.

Those of you who knew Nini know that she loved anything purple and butterflies, or as she would say "flutterbys". I often think now how appropriate a symbol for her. As that caterpillar has been in that dark and isolated cocoon, struggling and fighting with all it's might to break loose, be beautiful and fly free, so has my sister with her long battle. She has shed off her old "cocoon", broken loose, is beautiful and finally free "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. And shall she ever be."!!

She was a bit ill at the very last. Suffice it to say that she did not go out as a lamb. And I think that was her little joke on me because she knew how weak my constitution is. To this day, I still get sick at my stomach at the mere mention of anything distasteful. I always look away at gross scenes in the movies. But yet I was the one chosen to be with her on that last day sharing her final hours here and I think she would smile and say, "You did good kid; I'm proud of you! See ya soon...I'm saving a place for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment