Thursday, May 14, 2009

Church

Churches. They play such an important role in our lives. The first church I actually remember was the little Pentecostal church across the road from my grandfather's house in Scotts Hill, TN. We were staying there while my dad was wrapping things up in Indianapolis. From there, we went to Jackson, TN; however, I do not remember attending church while living there. Then when I was five years old, we moved to Memphis. We attended the largest church in the city for a short period! After that, we attended many churches throughout the city in the years to follow. Shorty, my dad, was a choir director and every year or two, he would move us to another church. In retrospect, I realize I didn't like that! I would warm to others easily, but as I would feel I was a part of the church body, we would leave and go to another church!

During my teen years, I rebelled and quit attending church except for the obligatory Easter and Christmas services and occasional revival service. I continued in my rebellious state until my early 30's when, after having a baby of my own and being a divorced single parent, knew that I wanted her raised in church. This was strange to me as how I had turned away from religion, but I did know that I wanted her to have the "church experience". It wouldn't be for a couple more years until I would be born again and long for my child to experience not just "church", but the new birth.

In April 1981, through the urging of friends at work, my little daughter and I joined the largest church in the city; it was so ironic to me since that was the first church I had attended as a child in Memphis. But it was there, under the preaching of Dr. Adrian Rogers, that I came to know our precious Savior and developed a hunger and thirst for God's word. I had never heard a pastor explain the Scriptures as he did! But the time did come for our beloved pastor to retire and then on November 15, 2005, he went to be with our Lord Jesus Christ. I still miss him, BUT, as with Moses, God's work isn't finished just because one of His servants dies!!

We made the difficult decision of attending another church. Is it sad leaving my church of 28 years? Yes! But I think God used this mega-church to train and equip us to "go out" to minister at our new church.

Am I excited about where God is leading us and how He is moving in our lives and how He will use us? YES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment